The Department of Commerce is no longer accepting new applications for the 2017 Biennium Youth Recreation Facilities Grant Program, as all available grant funds have been allocated through this one-time only funding.
Application Review & Award
Department staff reviewed and ranked grant applications for both technical and financial feasibility, and the extent to which the proposed project related to the following grant criteria:
- The need for the project, including the extent to which the proposed project will overcome a problem or deficiency faced in providing activities for Montana youth;
- The availability of other funding for the project, including the extent to which the applicant has sought out and obtained matching funds to complete the project;
- The applicant’s past efforts to ensure sound, effective, long-term facility planning and maintenance;
- The capacity of the applicant to manage the grant, including but not limited to its ability to manage the project and meet the grant conditions of the Department; and
- The community’s support for the project.
Staff considered the overall quality of the application, including measurable project goals, tasks, and activities, and a well-developed work plan and budget, in making award decisions. Grant awards were generally made on a first-come, first-served basis until funds were allocated; however, the Department reserved the right to reject applications that were incomplete, ineligible, or did not clearly demonstrate how the proposed activity would meet the legislative intent for Youth Recreational grants.