Buying a home can be a nerve-wracking experience, but it doesn’t have to be. Montana Housing at the Department of Commerce partners with communities and organizations to create affordable housing opportunities for all Montanans.
Follow these six steps as you begin the process of purchasing your first Montana home.
- Find a homebuyer education class in your area at housing.mt.gov/HBHBE. Homebuyer Education will give you the knowledge and tools to confidently move forward to buying your home.
- Verify your eligibility with a Montana Housing participating lender. Montana Housing participating lenders can connect you with resources like the MBOH Plus 0% Deferred Down Payment Assistance Program, veterans home loans, and low-interest rate loans.
- Work with a realtor to find an affordable home that fits your needs and make an offer.
- Schedule a home inspection with help from your realtor. It is important to conduct a home inspection to avoid unexpected costs by purchasing a property in need of major repairs.
- Work with your Montana Housing participating lender to complete the loan process. When your loan is approved, a closing date is set. You are now ready to take the final step toward your first home.
- Move in to your new home!
Find more information and resources for purchasing your first home at housing.mt.gov.